Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Local Weather Link

Woke up to a feeling of very light shaking. Reminded me of a bus going by houses or apartments I have lived in. I am guessing it was a trembler, as in extremely mild earthquake. I really have no idea and there are none reported near here.
Seems I am getting a lot of  requests for the weather link I use for the local, and I do mean local, weather report for my surrounding square mile or so of earth. So, click here to go to the link. It is set up to see the weather at the entrance to Aeneas Valley. On the map, you can scroll in or out, move the center of the map to your area of interest and click on the most accurate spot that you can determine.

Frontier Living Weather Site
The screen shot is scrolled down from the top of the page, which gives national major weather warnings and such. Below the map, is the GPS location of where you selected and I think an average elevation of the area. It does not match my known elevation for where I live, and that is where I put my mark for weather. Once you have your place picked out, bookmark it. Easy.
It is fairly accurate as weather forecasts go and certainly better than general weather forecasts for areas miles away. I would say + or- 5 degrees Fahrenheit and if it says 20% chance of rain, usually, one out of 5 times it rains.
Just for fun here is a picture of where I set this weather report up, the entrance to the valley, taken last week. It is 12 miles east of Tonasket on Highway 20.
Right now a friend, who is working for a neighbor, is working to make the water running down our drive, less problematic. He has heavy equipment and used to make a living moving dirt before retiring. He is fast and accurate. The neighbor was having more egress problems than we were as he is farther up this road, so we will help cover the costs of making things drivable. What we need is about 10, 9-yard loads of gravel. At $200 a load, I don't know how to swing it, but it is the only way to prevent the gouging and dirt runoff we are experiencing now and probably for the next 3 months of rain this spring.
Maybe we can trade for the many tons of rocks we are growing in the pasture. Every year a many more pop up from the freeze/thaw cycle. That is when water gets under a rock, freezes and the expansion force of freezing water pushes the rock up, and eventually, out of the ground.
I am looking forward to being able to drive around again!

Welcome to my world,  Frontier Woman @ frontierlivingtoday.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment